WHAT TO TEACH YOUR "HOME ALONE" CHILDREN
• Have your child check in with you or a neighbor immediately after arriving home.
• Ensure they know how to call 9-1-1 and how to give directions to your home, in case of emergency
• Make sure they know your family's emergency plan - if you do not have a plan visit www.ready.gov
for more information on creating one
them how to properly use the door and window locks, and the alarm
system if you have one - particularly the "panic" feature of your alarm
• To never let anyone into your home without asking your
permission - no repairmen, delivery persons etc - NO ONE - even if they
appear to be in a company uniform.
• To never let a person at the
door or on the phone know that they're alone. Teach them to say "Mom or
Dad can't come to the phone (or door) right now, may I take a message?"